05 September 2010

Another Chance

Like many a fellow girl (and a few guys I know) I love a good romantic comedy. And though most of the time, the only thing gleaned from them is a few funny lines or scenes-worth-swooning for, seeing the end of one of my favorites make me think a little harder.

You've probably seen 50 First Dates a time or two. I absolutely adore Drew Barrymore, despite her occasional visits to crazytown, so it's no surprise that I'm a fan of the movie.

If you haven't seen it, let me just fill you in on the details that are important to this here blog post. If you haven't seen it, you might want to watch it before reading -- I don't want to ruin it for you! In any case, the necessary detail here is that Barrymore's character, Lucy, has a type of amnesia in which her memory is "wiped clean" every night. She wakes up each morning thinking that it is the same day that her amnesia-causing-accident occurred on. Here's a video of the scene I'm rather fond of tonight:



Every morning she wakes up, she gets to experience everything as if it were brand new to her, because in her mind, it is! She feels genuinely blessed, and really, I feel like it's an easy extension to say that we could all try to live like that -- to be in awe of the world around us, and to love the people around as if they are brand new, perfect and beautiful. It's cheesy, but really, the world and the people around us are pretty darn fantastic. Be grateful!

What did you get from this scene? Or the whole movie, if you've seen it? Have a favorite movie to contribute here?

No comments:

Post a Comment